Desert Car Care Center of Chandler, MADD Phoenix and the Chandler Police Department Invite You to Take the Pledge To Drive Sober
We Honor Fallen Chandler Police Officer David Payne and Call Talker Cathy Coppes Both Killed by Drunk Drivers
Join Desert Car Care of Chandler, MADD Phoenix and Chandler Police Department for the 7th annual ‘Tie One On For Safety®’ public awareness campaign to designate a non-drinking driver during the holiday season. We hope that you will come to sign the Pledge to Drive Sober. We mourn the loss of two people who served the community of Chandler through the Chandler Police Department and dedicate the event to their memories. The event is Tuesday, December 4, 2018 from 6am – 1pm.
Chandler Police Officer David Payne was the spokespersons at our inaugural event in 2013. On October 31, 2014 while on duty and stopped at a red light, Officer Payne was rear-ended by an impaired driver who was determined to be more than three times the legal limit. Tragically, Officer Payne did not survive his injuries and died. He was dedicated about DUI enforcement and as a motorcycle officer, he also served on the East Valley DUI Task Force.
We lost a member of the communications team in June of this year, Chandler Police Emergency Call Taker Cathy Coppes. Cathy was killed in a vehicle collision north of Flagstaff while on a motorcycle, struck head on by an impaired driver and killed on impact. Cathy started her career with the Chandler Police Department in April 2002.
Those who attend and sign the pledge will receive a free set of windshield wiper blades (contoured wiper blades extra),and a voucher for 20% off any repair or service up to $100.00 at Desert Car Care Chandler through January 31, 2019 and a ‘Tie One On For Safety®’ MADD decal. Pledge To Drive Sober: This holiday season, I give my family, my friends and myself the gift of life. I pledge to not drink and drive or ride with an impaired driver, let my friends drink and drive or ride with an impaired driver, and to always wear my seatbelt. I make the commitment to always have a designated driver.
According to MADD.org:
- 300,000 INCIDENTS A DAY - Adults drink too much and drive about 121 million times per year – or more than 300,000 incidents of drinking and driving a day.
- 10,876 DEATHS A YEAR - That’s 30 deaths every day and one death every 50 minutes. Each and every one of them 100% preventable.
- 290,000 INJURIES PER YEAR - 290,000 injuries per year means exponentially more friends, family members and loved ones unnecessarily impacted by this preventable crime.
Tips to keep your family and friends safe this season:
- Promote the non-drinking designated driver concept in party invitations.
- Host parties by providing alternate transportation or accommodation.
- Have bedrooms and your sofa ready for those who need to spend the night.
- Provide plenty of food, yet avoid too many salty snacks, which tend to make people thirsty and drink more.
- Designate a non-drinking driver BEFORE the celebration begins.
ABOUT: For more information call 480-726-6400 or visit www.desertcarcare.com