Monsoon Ready? Tips to avoid a large financial disaster to your vehicle
As little as 6 inches of water can damage your car and lead to stalling. A foot of water may even cause your vehicle to float. If you think the water is more than 6 inches deep, DO NOT try to drive through it. Turn around and find another route.
Monsoon safety tips to avoid a financial disaster to your vehicle:
- Secure plastic covers or splash guards to prevent damage to the alternator, starter and other sensitive electronics.
- In the engine bay area are the electrical components that are vital to keeping your engine running and any moisture will cause significant damage.
- Pay attention to barricades and don't ignore them by driving past them.
- NEVER drive through washes filled with water!
- Drive slowly and steadily through water-filled streets.
- If you notice that the engine starts to run rough, is sluggish, hear a knocking noise, or you lose power, IMMEDIATELY pull over safely, stop the engine and call for towing.
- If your engine stops and you can't restart your vehicle and you become trapped in water, immediately abandon it for higher ground.